Libraries are the New Hub for Dialogue Facilitation #LibrariesTransform

Libraries are the New Hub for Dialogue Facilitation #LibrariesTransform

“Libraries Transform” is a multi-year campaign about the transforming the role of libraries in America.  

This week I joined a webinar that showed libraries how to use several facilitation approaches to foster conversation and lead change in communities.  The webinar was hosted by the American Library Association and the National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation.

Here are just a few key points that I sketched while listening.  There are several more webinars coming up, so if you are interested, find out more here.

#librariestransform sketchnotes American Library Association NCDD

For as long as I can remember… I’ve always had a library card.  I’m really excited to see how the #LibrariesTransform initiative will play a role across our country.  The timing in our country right now is perfect for having meaningful dialogue.

Question, comments or ideas?  I’d love to hear them. Hit reply or contact me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwau58kbiir8fhc/Sketchnotes%20for%20Beginners%20-%20SURN%20-%202018.pdf?dl=0

Project: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Civil & Human Rights Awards #1uMLK

Project: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Civil & Human Rights Awards #1uMLK

On Sunday, January 15th I created this 4’x8′ chart in real-time for the AFL-CIO.  The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Civil & Human Rights Awards took place at the Hamilton in Washington, DC.  There were 8 award recipients, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren and actor Jussie Smollett.

Graphic recording sketchnotes by Lisa Nelson, Washington, DC #1umlk

Graphic recording by Lisa Nelson for #1uMLK. The Hamilton, Washington, DC

I enjoyed working on this project for so many reasons.  One reason is because I come from a family of union workers. When award recipient, Carmen Perez, mentioned the 1199 union it made me smile.

Another reason I enjoyed this project was because of the program itself.  It was so rich with stories of ordinary people doing amazing things.

AFL-CIO Program for #1umlk, Washington, DC

I love this quote that was printed on the program.  It speaks to the labor movement and matched the occasion perfectly.

“All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
— Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I used pieces from the music selection, video segments, and stories from the honorees to make the chart a collage.

Click here to see a 15 second video of the complete chart.

Project: Police Community Relations Forum

Project: Police Community Relations Forum

Yesterday the Greenbelt Community Relations Advisory Board and the Greenbelt City Police Department held a forum to to encourage listening and dialogue.   This was the first of a series of conversations to foster a respectful, safe and fair community.

I got a chance to meet neighbors and we collectively worked on being “One Greenbelt”.  Residents shared their experiences and suggestions for improving relations with the police department.  Thomas Kemp, Acting Police Chief said “We are here to LISTEN”.

Take a look at my sketchnotes below, with the takeaways I heard during this session.

Sketchnotes Police Community Relations Forum, Greenbelt MD

I’m curious.  Is your community having these kinds of conversations?

Please leave a comment below and share.

#CincyTakesOnPoverty with Powerful Visuals

#CincyTakesOnPoverty with Powerful Visuals

On June 25th the Child Poverty Collaborative hosted a Community Summit in Cincinnati, Ohio.  This event was built around community conversation to take on poverty by working together to improve the lives of children in Cincinnati.  I was a member of the 6 person team hired by Greg Whicker to bring the power of visuals to over 700 attendees.

#cincytakesonpoverty

Over 700 attendees at the Community Summit #cincytakesonpoverty

Lisa Nelson graphic recording

Each team member worked on a different portion of the 3-D display to capture the harvest.

Lisa Nelson Graphic Recording #Cincytakesonpoverty What's Missing

Working on my portion of the 3-D chart that represents “What’s missing” from the solution to childhood poverty.

Wall Display - Graphic Recording - #cincytakesonpoverty

The final visual summary, our Gigantic 3-D display was a hit!

Checkout WLWT to see my drawing in action during the news segment.

This was a day of listening, learning, sharing and community.  I am so glad that I was able to be a part of this important work.  Please leave a comment below.

Family Caregivers Meeting – Montgomery County, Maryland

Family Caregivers Meeting – Montgomery County, Maryland

Are you a caregiver for an older adult?  Okay, well I’m raising my hand 🙂

I am a caregiver for my sweet 98 year old grandmother so….

I was excited to work on this project about Family Caregivers in Montgomery County, Maryland.  The Montgomery County Commission on Aging hosted the meeting and I am so impressed by the work they are doing for seniors.  The meeting was held on Feb 28 at the Silver Spring Civic Building.

The conference room was filled to the brim with caregivers eager to share and learn about services offered in Montgomery County.

Montgomery County Commission on Aging #1

The meeting started with introductions by Odile Brunetto, Director, Montgomery County Area Agency on Aging and Judy Levy, Chair, Montgomery County Commission on Aging.

Elinor Ginzler, Sr Director, Jewish Council for the Aging  facilitated the meeting.  While Elinor guided the discussion with the audience, I created the visual summaries from the key points.

For a larger view, click the image to expand.

caregiver-discussion

There was also a break-out session with subject matter experts on hand to answer questions.   After the session, each “expert table” did a report-out of the key topics covered at their table.   See my graphic recording below based on those highlights.

expert-tables

Using the power of graphic recording helped people see the connections and come up with new strategies for such an important topic.  I am so glad I was a part of this project 🙂

What’s your experience as a caregiver? Can you relate to any of the points in the visual summaries? Comment below.

#MoCo Seniors Transportation Meeting

#MoCo Seniors Transportation Meeting

I really enjoyed  graphic recording for the “All Around The County” transportation meeting.  Montgomery County held a community meeting with seniors to discuss inclusive transportation.  It was a packed house and the feedback was terrific!

10583615844_7b14183f3a_b

For a larger view, click the image to expand.  Photo with Lisa Nelson (l) and Elaine Binder (r)- Montgomery County Commission of Aging

JOIN US

Sign up for a weekly dose of visual ideas, inspiration and creativity + receive your Visual Note-Taking Tip Sheet.  Just enter your email address below...

You have Successfully Subscribed!